Tuesday, March 14, 2006

But It's Really About The Beer

Welcome to another installment of, "Come ON -- tell me the WHOLE story!" AKA "I love to talk about myself", or "Me-Me Monday" for short.

The object of the game is to refer to your 101 Things About Me list, pick one of your "things" and tell the whole sordid tale. I don't yet have a full 101 Thing About Me list, but do plan on growing one. So when I play Me-Me Monday" I'll add to my list.

26. I've never eaten Sushi before and have no great desire to try it.

I've had fun combinations of seaweed and rice and vegetables -- my good buddy Taki used to make it back in Ottawa - it was good and I liked it. But many years later when the whole Western culture Sushi craze really took off, I kind of let it take off and leave me behind. Francine has been content to do the same. So, with neither of us really wanting to jump on the "raw fish" bandwagon, we're just fine as is.

Don't get me wrong, I love fish (I grew up eating fish that I caught with my Dad -- Pickerel or Walleye being my favourite) - but I never had any strong desire to consume truckloads of raw fish.

So, my 101 items list gets challenged today. The guys I'm with on a training course all wanted to go to a Sushi place tonight. I figured I might as well stop being a Sushi virgin. I did end up ordering a veggie Sushi dish, but Iulian let me try his salmon/tuna sushi bit, which I enjoyed (and couldn't really tell was raw)

So in a nutshell - Sushi, pretty good, nothing really to write home about. I love the wasabi. That was pretty awesome. But as for Sushi, I don't feel like I've been missing out all my life on this. Maybe I'll see if Fran wants to try it with me some time. Other than that, I'm a happy camper with a single taste of it.

Now, at the Japanese restaurant, I thought I'd try out a Japanese beer. Samson told me that Asahi is one of the huge breweries in Japan, sponsoring everything and with signs all over the place. So I ordered one of those. It was a nice beer.

But a funny twist. I checked out the label. Apparently, Asahi is brewed in North America by Molson in Toronto (Molson being one of the two larger Canadian Breweries -- okay, not Canadian any more, but at least started out that way before being consumed by larger Brewing Companies). Then it's shipped to California where it's distributed in the U.S. Well, no WONDER the beer tasted so good - it was brewed in Canada. (Gee now I feel like I was cheating on trying out new brews and just drinking Canadian stuff.)

It's really often just about the beer with me, isn't it? Hmm, let's make THAT point 27 on my list.

3 comments:

lime said...

so fran and i are the last remaining sushi virgins inthe western hemisphere?

Mark Leslie said...

LOL, yes, apparently so, Lime. Sorry I left you both behind.

Franny said...

I'll eat anything. Well, not insects. Went through my sushi phase, but never craved it more than when I was preggers (probably because you're not supposed to eat sushi when you're pregnant.) It's the whole "banned substance" appeal. I also craved beer when I was expecting. Packed a cold one in my overnight bag as motivation!