Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Resigning To Make A Change

I resigned today from Indigo Books & Music, Inc.

After fourteen plus years with the same company (okay, it hasn't been the same company -- when I started in the early 90's, the company's name was Coles The Book People, then in the mid 90's SmithBooks and Coles merged to form Chapters, and in 2001, Indigo bought out Chapters and the company name was changed to Indigo Books & Music, Inc.) I've decided to pursue a new chapter in my career as a bookseller.

I've seen a lot of changes over the years, and worked with some really phenomenal people. It is the people I will miss the most. What I won't miss very much are the 60+ hour weeks that I've been working on a regular basis for the past 6 months. But I'll definitely miss my colleagues and team members -- they've been like family to me, and I will always treasure the opportunity to have worked with so many talented, passionate and intelligent people. I was considering harping here a bit about some of the painful and morale killing things that have been going on at work recently and which helped inspire this change -- but I don't want to cheapen my experience. For the most part, I've learned some great things and worked with truly remarkable people over the years, and helped build both Chapters and then Indigo into the company that it is today. I'm proud of those efforts, proud of my achievements and proud of all of the friendships and colleagues I've established over the years both within the company and in the Canadian book community.

I'll be starting as Manager, Book Operations for Titles (The McMaster University Bookstore) in August. And I am absolutely delighted with the opportunity and challenges that lie ahead. The staff that I've already met are wonderful people (I've worked with three of them in the past, and they're all awesome dudes and dudettes), and I'm certainly looking forward to being part of the Titles family.

On top of the wonderful work environment (and working for a University again -- back in the late 80's early 90's I worked as a theatre technician at Carleton University's Alumni Theatre), this new job is a 10 minute drive from my home (as opposed to the 1.5 hour commute) -- that shaves about 3 hours off my day alone -- Though I will miss my GO Train buddies, and I did take advantage of the commute for writing, I'm looking forward to reclaiming my mornings and either jogging or writing on my own terms.

But the very best this about this new job is that since it's in Hamilton I will get to spend more time with Francine and Alexander. And THAT, to me, is like winning the lottery.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of Luck Mark!

Mantaray Ocean said...

Congratulations Mark - I am truly happy for you! Bittersweet as I am very sad to see you go, but so very happy to see that you will have a life back and time...just to name two things! It truly is wonderful news for you and your family that you will be so close!

Rainypete said...

Aww come on! Working for like 23 hours a day and not seeing your loved ones wasn't fulfilling enough for you?? Geez you're demanding!

Seriously though, it's nice to be in a job that's good for the soul instead of one that is good for the bank account It takes courage to pull the plug on a well paying job when you have a family to support so bravo to you! Enjoy the job at Mac. After spending two summers there cleaning the residences I learned that it is a fascinating place to work.

Bob said...

Dude... that's fantastic news. I'm sure you're going to love the fact that you won't have to get up so early to get to work on time.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mark! Bout time. So how much overtime are you going to work in your final two weeks?

lime said...

this just sounds like such a perfect situation and i am absolutely delighted for you, francine, and alexander. congratulations!!

lecram sinun said...

Congratulations, Mark. Yeah, those kind of decisions are tough. I'm glad for you on the shorter commute and saving the time for family. Looks like new chapters abound all around. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

And the winners are .....Mark Leslie, McMaster U and the Leslie family.

It's at times like this that I like to quote the almighty Shrek "Change is good, Donkey, change is good" (replace Donkey with Mark)

Franny said...

Congratulations! In addition to spening more time with the family and escaping the commute, you get to work with Kim & Karen again, and I am SO jealous! I have to get a job down at Mac!

Also, here's the creepy thing: I knew. I just read your blog today for the first time in a week, and yet I already knew...

Anonymous said...

Mark,

You lucky bugger!!! I am totally envious of you. You seem to be on a roll....a great new opportunity, more time with your family and less time commuting (I won't even mention the Kegorator). Good luck, congratulations and all the best.

We will miss you on the GO Train (although we hardly got to see you lately).

Let the good times roll...

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mark! Along with ing Dave I am totally envious and happy for you and your family. No amount of money can replace the precious time spent with Family. I can only hope to follow in your foot steps and work closer to home.
Yes, we will all miss you on the train but this is a small world, and it's scary I know some of the people you will be working with.
Best os luck with the new job.
Fellow go-trainer: Christina

Anonymous said...

'bout time man...'bout time!!
- Dan Gravel

Virginia said...

Wow. Congratulations, Mark, on taking control and making things better for you and your family. We're all very proud of you. : )

Anonymous said...

Waaaaahhhhhh... well, I'll be sad to see you go, but it's definitely a fantastic opportunity and I'm very happy for you!

Mark Leslie said...

Wow - thanks everyone. I'm touched and honoured to have such a wonderful support system of friends and colleagues.

(and I didn't even have to pose half-nekkid to get a huge whack of comments, LOL)

Anonymous said...

Well my record stands. Every time I am away on vacation someone resigns.

Sorry to see you go Mark but I can completely understand why you made the choice. All the best in your next adventure. Be sure to stop by for a hug before you go.