Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One Of Those Rare Beautiful Exceptions

For most serious writers, there's a standard rule:

Don't go the "self-publishing" route if you intend on being taken seriously by traditional publishers.


For every rule, there are always exceptions.

The experience that Terry Fallis covers in this short and intriguing video is one such exception.



I was fortunate enough to be one of the bookstore managers who, very early on "discovered" Terry's brilliant writing before the rest of the world figured it out.

I'm proud to say that I've been a fan of his writing since I first cracked open the cover of his originally self-published version of The Best Laid Plans and was immediately hooked by his prose. His writing contains a unique blend of Robertson Davies and John Irving elements that I find absolutely compelling. Or, to compare him to a contemporary, his wonderful combination of humour and suspenseful storyline is reminiscent of Linwood Barclay's earlier novels.

I'm even more proud of Terry's Stephen Leacock Award win, his publishing deal with M&S and his second novel.

Which I simply cannot wait to read.

Of course, I'll have to wait to Sept 2010 to enjoy The High Road.

No comments: