Saturday, February 18, 2012

Can't Blog . . . Writing

Everyone once in a while I get so consumed with multiple writing projects that I neglect this poor blog of mine. I do feel bad about it. My blog and I go back quite a few years. I have been feeding it since 2005 and it has been providing me with a regular way to ensure that I'm constantly writing.

Even if that writing is a self-reflective thing, it has keep me pushing out words.

Even if those words are regularly "rough" and "draft-ish" it is important for me to ensure I follow the basic rule that a writer writes. Every day.

One of my favourite inspirational quotes about writing comes from Hugh Prather:

"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire is not to write." - Hugh Prather

This blog, then, has helped ensure that I regularly write. And I will admit that, despite my desire to write every day, I don't necessarily push out words to my writing projects nor my blog every single day.

But I come close. And I try my best.

Ironically, it is when I'm busy doing actual writing - working on articles and fiction and other writing related projects related to actually getting my work published, this blog, that gives me so much and asks so little, gets pushed aside.

Admittedly, like a little "Audrey II from Little Shops of Horrors, I hear the occasional soft cry of "Feeeeed me . . . ." coming from my blog.

And that's exactly why I wrote this post. I was in the middle of reading submissions for an anthology that I'm editing, but I had to pause for a few moments, pay heed to the cries of my blog, and respond with this post. Even if it's a rambling, round-about post, at least I have strung words together and sated the needs of this blog for a moment longer.

2 comments:

lecram said...

I use my blog for the same reasons... including it's neglect at times.

Steph said...

It's also why I write my blog. Even though my posts take me hours, I still find them easier than writing fiction. If I didn't have my blog, I might not write much at all, and my procrastinating would be even worse!