Wednesday, February 01, 2012

I Have A Bad Feeling About This

Last night, my son and I were playing and, jokingly, he said: "I have a bad feeling about this!" I immediately recognized it as a "George Lucas" line and started laughing, because I realized that this "got a bad feeling" or "have a bad feeling" line is one that is used multiple times in the Star Wars movies.


Funny how a seven year old points out something that it took this 42 year old about thirty years to discover. I learn a heck of a lot from my son.

Adults should spend more time listening to children.

Alexander and I, Halloween 2011


From Wookipedia, here are the uses in the 6 films . . .



    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

    "I have a bad feeling about this."
    ―As Obi-Wan Kenobi's first line at the beginning when Kenobi talks to Qui-Gon Jinn onboard Saak'ak

    Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

    "I've got a bad feeling about this."
    ―Anakin Skywalker at Geonosis in the arena, in reference to the approaching execution beasts

    Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

    "Oh, I have a bad feeling about this."
    ―Obi-Wan Kenobi talking to Anakin Skywalker as their starfighters approach a large, closing blast door on Invisible Hand

    Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

    "I have a very bad feeling about this."
    ―Luke Skywalker, when the Millennium Falcon approaches the Death Star

    "I've got a bad feeling about this."
    ―Han Solo, before the walls of the trash compactor start to close in

    Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

    "I have a bad feeling about this."
    ―Princess Leia, while inside the belly of the space slug, just before the mynocks appear

    Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

    "Artoo, I have a bad feeling about this."
    ―C-3PO, when entering Jabba the Hutt's palace

    "I have a really bad feeling about this."
    ―Han Solo, after the Ewoks capture the strike team

Here's a YouTube collection of clips from those movies . . .



Wookipedia also has a listing of uses in books, comics, computer games, the Clone Wars series as well as an extensive use of the phrase both in other George Lucas projects as well as outside the Lucas owned realm.

1 comment:

lime said...

funny! i remember my kids getting to be teenagers or so and realizing their dad used so many movie lines. my oldest said, "i had no idea dad was not in the least bit original."