Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Trouble With Handheld Devices

Our eight year old son has a plethora of hand-held devices, and he pulls them out at almost every opportunity.

And it seems like, more and more, Francine and I are frustrated with how consumed he can become in these little things which you can take virtually anywhere; we are constantly competing with a portable little device for his attention.

He is continually distracted by these things.

At the breakfast table. Sitting on the couch. In the back seat of the car.

Instead of going to bed on time, he sits there with his head stuck pointed down, drawn in and blocking out virtually everything happening around him.

It's getting worse, too.

Last night I called to him in a loud voice from just four feet away, no less than three times before I finally got his attention.

He looked up at me and said, "Please, let me read just one more page, Dad."


I suppose I should have expected this. He gets this sickness from both of his parents.

Damn books.

2 comments:

Heather O'Connor said...

Love this, Mark. You gave me a real chuckle, especially fresh from reading today's article in the Toronto Star. http://www.thestar.com/living/health/article/1319795--is-the-internet-bad-for-us.

lecram said...

I just blogged about how I just changed the look of my blog to be smartphone friendly... lol!